Southwestern Shepherd's Pie Recipe
This easy meal is hearty and colorful, with a great blend of Southwest flavors and heat! Suzette Jury - Keene, CA
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:14 servings
- 3 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) enchilada sauce
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups mashed potato flakes
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies, undrained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 2 cans (11 ounces each) Mexicorn, drained
- 2/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the enchilada sauce, flour, chipotle peppers, cumin and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the water, milk, butter and salt; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Stir in potato flakes until combined. Add chilies and 1/2 cup cheese.
- 3. Transfer meat mixture to two greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dishes. Layer with corn, mashed potato mixture and remaining cheese. Sprinkle with green onions. Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months.
- 4. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly. Sprinkle with paprika.
- 5. To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- 6. Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 15-20 minutes longer or until bubbly. Sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 2 casseroles (7 servings each).
1 cup equals 399 calories, 20 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 973 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 26 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC