Southwestern Shepherd's Pie Recipe
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) enchilada sauce
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups mashed potato flakes
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies, undrained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 2 cans (11 ounces each) Mexicorn, drained
- 2/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the enchilada sauce, flour, chipotle peppers, cumin and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the water, milk, butter and salt; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Stir in potato flakes until combined. Add chilies and 1/2 cup cheese.
- 3. Transfer meat mixture to two greased 11x7-in. baking dishes. Layer with corn, mashed potato mixture and remaining cheese. Sprinkle with green onions. Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months.
- 4. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly. Sprinkle with paprika.
- 5. To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- 6. Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 15-20 minutes longer or until bubbly. Sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 2 casseroles (7 servings each).
1 cup equals 399 calories, 20 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 973 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Reviews for Southwestern Shepherd's Pie
"This recipe is such a winner and is now in the files as a family "fav" I use instant mashed potatoes to reduce prep time and it hasn't affected in the least the kudos received when I serve this....yummy!"
"It was wonderful.... it was pretty spicy, so I would just delete the abodo chili peppers... then it would be just fine...."
"I have to admit, I was a little hesitant on the flavors of this one, but it was delicious. Everyone in the family enjoyed it and I love that I have an extra in the freezer for a busy day. I am definately going to try the suggestion of the cornbread topping for next time."
"Made this recipe many times. Love it, but I use a cornbread topping instead of Potatoes. The taste goes better and the cornbread soaks up some of the heat of the peppers."
"Surprisingly so good! I took a frozen one to a family member who had just had a baby and her fam loved as well."
"I am looking for recipes to freeze for my son to take to college. I think he will love this one."
"This was very good... I only used one can of chilies and one teaspoon of the chipotle pepper for fear it would be too hot for my kids, and I used an extra cup of cheese cause we like things extra cheesy! So excited to have the extra casserole in the freezer - I don't get to do that very often because I don't have an extra freezer so there's never enough room. Thanks!"
"Wouldn't change one thing, a yummy family pleasing favorite that freezes nicely!"