Southwestern Seafood Egg Rolls Recipe
Scallops, shrimp, spicy seasonings and phyllo dough combine to make these unique egg rolls. Assemble them in the morning, refrigerate, then bake as guests arrive. —Lori Coeling, Hudsonville, Michigan
- 1/4 pound uncooked bay scallops
- 1/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Dash ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 12 sheets phyllo dough, (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1. In a large skillet, saute scallops, shrimp and 1/2 teaspoon garlic in 1 tablespoon oil for 2 minutes or until seafood is opaque. With a slotted spoon, remove from the pan and coarsely chop; set aside.
- 2. In the same skillet, combine the tomato, onion and remaining garlic and oil; simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, cilantro, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, cayenne and turmeric. Simmer, uncovered, until liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in seafood mixture and bread crumbs.
- 3. Cut the phyllo dough into 14-in. x 4-1/2-in. strips. Cover with a damp towel until ready to use. Lightly brush one strip with butter. Top with another strip; brush with butter. Place a tablespoonful of seafood mixture near one short side; fold in the long sides and roll up. Brush lightly with butter.
- 4. Place on a greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Southwestern Seafood Egg Rolls
Reviewed Jan. 31, 2012
"Made this for family get together years ago, turned out fabulous. Need to make again! (Assembly is a bit of work but since it can be done ahead, not so bad.)"
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC