- 1/4 pound uncooked bay scallops
- 1/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Dash ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 12 sheets phyllo dough, (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- In a large skillet, saute scallops, shrimp and 1/2 teaspoon garlic in 1 tablespoon oil for 2 minutes or until seafood is opaque. With a slotted spoon, remove from the pan and coarsely chop; set aside.
- In the same skillet, combine the tomato, onion and remaining garlic and oil; simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, cilantro, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, cayenne and turmeric. Simmer, uncovered, until liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in seafood mixture and bread crumbs.
- Cut the phyllo dough into 14-in. x 4-1/2-in. strips. Cover with a damp towel until ready to use. Lightly brush one strip with butter. Top with another strip; brush with butter. Place a tablespoonful of seafood mixture near one short side; fold in the long sides and roll up. Brush lightly with butter.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 dozen.
This recipe pairs well with a medium white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Protea Chenin Blanc South Africa 2011. Honeysuckle and pear, with a hint of lemon, makes this perfect with any fish or chicken dish. Buy now and get 2 bottles for $29.99. Order Now
Reviews for Southwestern Seafood Egg Rolls
Sort By :
Made this for family get together years ago, turned out fabulous. Need to make again! (Assembly is a bit of work but since it can be done ahead, not so bad.)