Southwestern Savory Muffins Recipe
- 10 bacon strips
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup diced green chilies
- In a skillet, cook the bacon until crisp; reserve 1/3 cup drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder. In a bowl, beat milk, egg and drippings; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the cheese, chilies and bacon. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 14 servings.
Reviews for Southwestern Savory Muffins(4)
Sort By :
We found these a little sweet for our taste, but thought they had a great combination of flavors! Next time I'll just cut the amount sugar in half. Oh, and I used canola oil instead bacon drippings (had drained the drippings before remembering I was supposed to use them) but they still had a great bacon flavor.
I meant to click five stars for this recipe!
I loved these! The ingredients went so well together and I loved how there was a hint of sweetness to them. I halved the recipe to make seven muffins and baked them for about 18-20 minutes. I didn't have enough shredded cheddar cheese but I had cheddar cheese slices so I broke about three slices into little pieces instead. Yummy!
You are in for a real treat. These are a bit of work thanks to the bacon, but well worth it. Don't miss out on these awesome muffins!!