Southwestern Sausage Stew Recipe
- 1 cup cubed peeled potato
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 turkey Italian sausage links (about 1/4 pound), casings removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon canned green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1. In a saucepan, combine potato and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potato is tender. Crumble sausage into a small skillet. Add onion and cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- 2. Add sausage mixture to potatoes. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/4 cup (prepared with reduced-sodium chicken broth and without salt) equals 337 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 1,315 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.