I created this healthy, low-fat recipe to feed my family. Here, it's sized just right for two people. We like that it's delicious, economical and fast to prepare.
- 1 cup cubed peeled potato
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 turkey Italian sausage links (about 1/4 pound), casings removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon canned green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a saucepan, combine potato and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potato is tender. Crumble sausage into a small skillet. Add onion and cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- Add sausage mixture to potatoes. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Southwestern Sausage Stew in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p162
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Southwestern Sausage Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review