Southwestern Sausage Skillet
In 30 minutes flat and with only one pan, you can have a hearty and flavorful Mexican meal. This creamy skillet dinner features tender pasta, mouthwatering pork sasusage, diced veggies and lots of seasoning. "It freezes nicely if made ahead," adds Valerie Hertel from St. Louis, Missouri.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/3 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper over
- medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until pasta is tender. Yield: 2
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/4 cups (prepared with reduced-fat sausage) equals 393 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 1,000 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 22 g protein.