Southwestern Rice Recipe
"I created this zippy side dish after eating something similar at a restaurant. It complements any Tex-Mex meal wonderfully," writes Michelle Dennis of Clarks Hill, Indiana. "Sometimes I add cubes of grilled chicken breast to the rice to make it a meal in itself."
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute green pepper and onion in oil for 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, rice, cumin and turmeric; bring to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Add the beans, tomatoes and corn; heat through. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup equals 198 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 339 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC