Southwestern Rice Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen corn (about 10 ounces), thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute pepper and onion 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute.
- 2. Stir in rice, spices and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients; cook, covered, until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup: 198 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 339mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Southwestern Rice
"My son was eating this in a bowl by itself he enjoyed it that much. Went well with our chicken fajitas and jicama slaw with peanut recipes."
"This rice is really tasty. The only thing I changed is I used a 15 oz. can of petite diced tomatoes and a 4 oz. can of mild chilies. It was easy and tasted great. I'll definitely be making this again. It was even better the next day. Enjoy!"
"It is easy to make and it tasted delicious."
"I do most of cooking at our house. I find the "Nutrition Facts" very useful with my wife and daughter both on a diet."