Southwestern Rice Salad Recipe
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice, cooled
- 1 cup cooked wild rice, cooled
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1-1/2 cups chunky salsa
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine salsa, salad dressing, cumin and salt; shake well.
- 2. Pour over rice mixture and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Yield: 7 servings.
1 cup: 236 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 642mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Reviews for Southwestern Rice Salad
"This was alright for us. Definitely better the next day, and it wasn't bad heated up either. I think it was too much salsa though. A whole cup was definitely more than I wanted to eat though. Probably won't make this again unless some modification are made."
"I used brown rice and navy beans and it was very tasty."
"I made this the first time for a bar-b-que where a number of the people would be older and did not like spicy food. I used a mild salsa and they loved it. The next time I made it I used a medium salsa and mixed a little orange peppers in for color. You can change this up depending on who will be eating and their preferences. Terrific!"
"I came across this recipe while looking for meatless dishes. My husband and I love the flavorful mixture! It has quickly become a favorite with rice, beans and the southwest flavor. I use brown rice instead of long grain for the great taste."