“We really enjoy this hearty dish,” says Betty Claycomb of Alverton, Pennsylvania. “Just add a side salad for a nutritious, complete meal.”
- 1-2/3 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 3-1/3 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup salsa
- In a large saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- In a large nonstick saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; stir in the beans, olives and rice. In a small bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese, ricotta cheese, sour cream and chili powder.
- Spoon half of the rice mixture into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; layer with half of the cheese mixture and salsa. Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Southwestern Rice Bake in Light & Tasty February/March 2008, p29
Reviews for Southwestern Rice Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 1, 2014
"I loved this one! It was easy to just add chicken to 1/2 so my non veggie eaters can enjoy too!"