Southwestern Refried Bean Soup Recipe
My daughter gave me this hearty soup recipe, and I'm glad she did - it's become a family favorite. You can't beat it on a cold winter day!
- 4 bacon strips
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1/4 cup picante sauce or salsa
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Hot pepper sauce, optional
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. In the drippings, saute the onion, celery and garlic powder until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Add the beans, picante sauce, broth, parsley and bacon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until flavors are blended. Season to taste with pepper sauce if desired. Ladle into bowls and top with cheese. Serve with tortilla chips. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 260 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 1,012 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC