- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (2 to 2-1/2 pounds)
- Flour tortillas
- Sour cream, shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes, optional
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the chilies, tomato sauce, barbecue sauce, onion, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Cut pork in half; place on top of tomato sauce mixture. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove pork. When cool enough to handle, shred meat using two forks. Return to slow cooker and heat through. Spread on tortillas; top with sour cream, lettuce and tomatoes if desired; roll up. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
Reviews for Southwestern Pulled Pork
"Turned out well, tasted the sauce at the end before shredding and made a few adjustments,, will try a different bbq sauce next time. easy!"
"This was delicious! I did pour off most of the sauce, however, and we ate it in fresh baked buns - yum:)"
"The whole family loves this! The neighbors came over cause they smelled the deliciousness! Have made many times and will make many more! Didn't change a thing to the recipe."
"Made this recipe for my wife's birthday party. We had it as is with only a little sour cream on tortillas, some had it on buns. 20 out of 20 people at the party gave it a resounding thumbs up. Excellent recipe."
"This was excellent. I did not use the green chilies. Be sure to trim the fat off your pork so that the sauce is not fatty."
"Very good and super easy!"
"My family did enjoy this recipe. I did have to add about a teaspoon of season salt and a few shakes of Mrs. Dash Chipotle seasoning. The tomato, lettuce, sour cream and avocado really send this to a special place on the taste bud scale. Yum-ola! It makes a bunch so I hope it will freeze well. I found the recipe in my Best of Country-slow cooker recipe book Vol. 2."