Southwestern Potpie with Cornmeal Biscuits Recipe
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless pork loin roast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 3 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1. Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add pork, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown pork in butter in batches. Remove and set aside.
- 2. In same pan, saute jalapeno and garlic in drippings 1 minute. Stir in broth, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, cinnamon and pork. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour or until pork is tender.
- 3. Preheat oven to 400°. Add corn, beans and chilies; heat through. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- 4. In a large bowl, combine biscuit mix, cornmeal, cheese and sugar; stir in milk just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times.
- 5. Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Arrange over meat mixture. Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 each: 351 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 822mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein
Reviews for Southwestern Potpie with Cornmeal Biscuits
"I brought this to a party, and it was a huge success! The only change I made, and this was only because I had to transport it from home to someone else's house, was I took a shortcut and used Pillsbury Grand Biscuits, which I put on top and baked in my hostess' oven when it was time to serve the entree's. I got a whole lot of compliments! I will definitely make it again at home with cornmeal biscuits!"
"My family like it but I had to omit the cinnamon n. Jalapeños but otherwise it was Delish"
"Loved this! I cut the biscuits into stars & the kids really ate it up:)"
"Sooo delicious! I only put some of the buscuits on the top and just baked the rest on a cookie sheet. Definitely making this one again!!"
"Very good flavor. I would make less of the biscuits, as they soaked up so much of the juices. I made a half recipe of the biscuits which still made 8 generous biscuits and that seemed to work with the amount of meat and vegetables."