Southwestern Potpie with Cornmeal Biscuits Recipe
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless pork loin roast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 3 cups Bisquick® mix
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup 2% milk
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add pork, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown pork in butter in batches. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute jalapeno and garlic in the drippings for 1 minute. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, cinnamon and pork. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until pork is tender.
- Add the corn, beans and chilies; heat through. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the biscuit mix, cornmeal, cheese and sugar; stir in milk just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times.
- Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Arrange over meat mixture. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Southwestern Potpie with Cornmeal Biscuits(4)
Sort By :
My family like it but I had to omit the cinnamon n. Jalapeños but otherwise it was Delish
Loved this! I cut the biscuits into stars & the kids really ate it up:)
Sooo delicious! I only put some of the buscuits on the top and just baked the rest on a cookie sheet. Definitely making this one again!!
Very good flavor. I would make less of the biscuits, as they soaked up so much of the juices. I made a half recipe of the biscuits which still made 8 generous biscuits and that seemed to work with the amount of meat and vegetables.
More Recipe Collections
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mexican Casserole Recipes >
- Mexican Casseroles >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Pork Casserole >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >