Southwestern Pork and Squash Soup Recipe
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, brown pork and onion in oil; drain. Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Southwestern Pork and Squash Soup
Sort By :
I used chicken instead of pork, because of what we had on hand. Will make this again and again changing meats and vegetables. A very versatile recipe.
I've prepared this recipe twice. I tweaked it a bit by substituting red potatoes for the squash. I think sweet potatoes would be great too, it's just that I love red potatoes. I cut the pork into smaller pieces, thickened the sauce to return it to more of a stew, used fresh chilis, and used "no salt added" diced tomatoes. This is a really good looking dish, very tasty and healthy.
This soup has great flavor and is super easy. I doubled the recipe, but only used 1 can of tomatoes with the chilies and it still had a nice kick.
Delicious & I made some corn bread to put in the soup!!! Yum :)
I made this recipe using less chili powder and cumin and added a drained and rinsed (low sodium) can of black beans the last hour of cooking. Will be making this again.
More Recipe Collections
- Butternut Squash Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Stew Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Stews >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Pork Main Dishes >
- Pork Recipes >
- Pork Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Pork Tenderloin Recipes >