Southwestern Pork & Pasta Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 2 pork tenderloins (1 pound each), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Sour cream
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook pork in oil in batches over medium heat for 6-7 minutes or until juices run clear; return all to the pan. Add onions and garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, corn, salsa and spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- 2. Combine the cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Drain pasta; add to pork mixture and toss to coat.
- 3. Serve desired amount of pasta with sour cream. Cool remaining pasta; transfer to freezer containers. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- 4. To use frozen pasta: Thaw in the refrigerator. Place in an ungreased shallow microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 465 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 1,098 mg sodium, 69 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 31 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.