Southwestern Meat Loaf Pie Recipe
- 1 egg
- 2 cups salsa, divided
- 1/2 cup finely crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Additional salsa, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the egg, 3/4 cup salsa, cracker crumbs, cumin, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes; drain.
- 2. Combine the rice, 1/2 cup cheese and remaining salsa. Spread over meat shell. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 3. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting. Serve with additional salsa if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 276 calories, 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 106 mg cholesterol, 795 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Reviews for Southwestern Meat Loaf Pie
"This is a very tasty option for somebody who likes "main course pies" with ground beef but prefers rice to pasta!"
"Excellent!! My whole family loved this! A keeper!"
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.