Southwestern Meat Loaf Pie Recipe
My family loves spicy foods, so my files are filled with recipes that call for salsa and cumin. This pie can easily be taken to the harvest fields in summer and fall.Karen Ann Bland, Gove, Kansas
- 1 egg
- 2 cups salsa, divided
- 1/2 cup finely crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Additional salsa, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, 3/4 cup salsa, cracker crumbs, cumin, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes; drain.
- Combine the rice, 1/2 cup cheese and remaining salsa. Spread over meat shell. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting. Serve with additional salsa if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Southwestern Meat Loaf Pie in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p176
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Southwestern Meat Loaf Pie(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Meat Loaf Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Hamburger Casserole >