- 1 egg
- 2 cups salsa, divided
- 1/2 cup finely crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Additional salsa, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, 3/4 cup salsa, cracker crumbs, cumin, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes; drain.
- Combine the rice, 1/2 cup cheese and remaining salsa. Spread over meat shell. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting. Serve with additional salsa if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Southwestern Meat Loaf Pie in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p176
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Southwestern Meat Loaf Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 20, 2014
"This is a very tasty option for somebody who likes "main course pies" with ground beef but prefers rice to pasta!"
Reviewed Jan. 1, 2011
"Excellent!! My whole family loved this! A keeper!"