Southwestern Meat and Potato Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1. In a Dutch oven or large kettle, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add 3/4 cup water, vegetables, salsa, salt if desired, cumin, garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- 2. Combine flour and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (prepared with low-sodium tomatoes and without added salt) equals 403 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 304 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 34 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.