- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a Dutch oven or large kettle, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add 3/4 cup water, vegetables, salsa, salt if desired, cumin, garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Combine flour and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Southwestern Meat and Potato Stew
"This stew was o.k. It is hearty and filling, i will give it that. But it had little flavor and there was certainly nothing special about it. I really don't understand how it won a blue ribbon."
"I'm not a stew person, but this was absolutely delicious. I also substituted 1 1/2 pound stew meat for the ground beef. I just cut it up into small pieces. This recipe is definitely a keeper."
"Great recipe to make in a cast iron dutch over the coals, we love to make it when we go camping!!!"
"This stew was Terrific!!!! The only thing my husband added was 5-6 dashes of Chipotle Tabasco Sauce. Hit the spot.~~Thank you"