Southwestern Meat and Potato Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a Dutch oven or large kettle, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add 3/4 cup water, vegetables, salsa, salt if desired, cumin, garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Combine flour and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Southwestern Meat and Potato Stew
Sort By :
"This stew was o.k. It is hearty and filling, i will give it that. But it had little flavor and there was certainly nothing special about it. I really don't understand how it won a blue ribbon."
"I'm not a stew person, but this was absolutely delicious. I also substituted 1 1/2 pound stew meat for the ground beef. I just cut it up into small pieces. This recipe is definitely a keeper."
"Great recipe to make in a cast iron dutch over the coals, we love to make it when we go camping!!!"
"I cut this meat and potato stew recipe in half for two people and used ground turkey instead of beef. Used unpeeled, red potatoes choppped. We added hot sauce at the table as desired and this recipe was perfect. Had leftovers. Will definitely prepare again and again."