Southwestern Layered Salad Recipe
"I made this eye-catching salad for my parents' 50th anniversary party and everyone enjoyed it," says Mary VanLangendon of Green Bay, Wisconsin. The cilantro dressing adds pizzazz to layers of egg, avocado and veggies.
- 8 cups shredded romaine
- 8 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 3-1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 cans (11 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and diced
- CILANTRO DRESSING:
- 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1-1/4 cups minced fresh cilantro
- Sliced ripe olives, cherry tomatoes and shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. Place the romaine in a large salad bowl. Arrange some egg slices around edge of bowl; place remaining eggs over romaine. Top with tomatoes. In a large bowl, combine the corn, beans and onions; spoon over tomatoes. In another large bowl, drizzle lime juice over avocados; gently toss to coat. Sprinkle avocados over tomatoes; spreading to sides of bowl.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, lime juice, cumin and chili powder. Stir in cilantro. Pour dressing over salad. Garnish with olives, cherry tomatoes and cheese if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 280 calories, 23 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 114 mg cholesterol, 307 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC