Southwestern Lasagna Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese, thinly sliced
- 8 corn tortillas (8 inches), halved
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, brown beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the enchilada sauce, tomatoes, olives, salt, garlic powder and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese and egg; set aside. Spread one-third of the meat sauce in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with half the Monterey Jack cheese, half the cottage cheese mixture and half the tortillas. Repeat layers, ending with meat sauce. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 418 calories, 23 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 970 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.