Southwestern Hominy Casserole
This colorful cheese-topped dish gets its great flavor from green chilies and a variety of seasonings. "It's sure to add pizzazz to most any meal," assures Martha Holland of Reno, Nevada.
12 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) yellow hominy, drained
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet that has been coated with cooking spray, saute
- onion and garlic until tender. Add the hominy, tomatoes, chilies,
- chili powder, cumin and pepper; mix gently.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish that has been coated with cooking
- spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with
- cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted. Yield:
- 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 1/2-cup serving equals 76 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 223 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.