Southwestern Hash with Eggs Recipe
"Before I retired, this all-in-one skillet dish was constantly requested at office brunches," writes Barbara Beasley of Beaumont, Texas. "I'd leave out the eggs, double or triple the recipe and wrap servings of the zippy pork mixture in warm corn tortillas."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour Bake: 10 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1-1/2 pounds pork steak, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 1. In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, cook pork in oil until browned, about 4 minutes. Add potato, onion, garlic and green pepper; cook and stir for 4 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, bouillon, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne. Cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Make four wells in the hash; break an egg into each. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until the eggs are completely set. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve over tortillas. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 520 calories, 23 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 335 mg cholesterol, 1,104 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 49 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC