- 1 medium green pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Broil green pepper and jalapeno 4 in. from the heat until skins blister, about 4 minutes. With tongs, rotate peppers a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin. Remove stems and seeds; chop peppers.
- Place 1 cup of water in a food processor. Add the peppers, spinach, cilantro and onions; cover and process until smooth.
- In a large skillet, saute rice in oil until golden brown. Stir in the spinach puree, salt and remaining water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Green Rice in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p222
Reviews for Southwestern Green Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Side Dishes >
- Irish Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Side Dishes >