- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, cook and crumble beef with onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, 6-8 minutes; drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, chilies and dry seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until flavors are blended, about 5 minutes. Stir in macaroni and cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Southwestern Goulash
"I was afraid this would lack flavor, but I did not feel that it did. I enjoyed it the first night, as well as leftovers for the next couple of nights (it's just me) I thought it was very good. I may try it next time with taco seasoning (omitting the cumin, salt and pepper) just to see how it was."
"I made it as directed. It looked good, but lacked flavor. If I make it again, I would try using fresh jalapenos, increase the cumin a bit, maybe add a little oregano and garnish with grated or crumbled cheese."
"I was wondering if you could make this is a pressure cooker or a crock Pot? I have an Instant Pot here that I love to use"
"So quick to make. Tatted good also. Great weeknight meal!"
"One of the best goulash recipes my stomach has ever craved. Thank you for sharing over the recipe! :)"
"I have been making Goulash very similar to this for over 40 years. I don't add corn or cilantro (daughter didn't like them) and I used Williams chili Seasoning to taste. Always made a big batch because it was one of the few things my daughter would eat two days in a row. As easy as a "box" mix and so much better!"
"very flavorless dish. added quite a bit of spices and still tasted bland. gonna drain tomatoes next time. other than that great recipe"
"Very good, easy. We all liked it."
"Great recipe. Fat and easy."