- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2/3 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, corn, tomato sauce, chilies, cumin, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
Drain macaroni; add to meat mixture and heat through. Stir in cilantro.
Freeze option: Freeze individual portions of cooled goulash in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Southwestern Goulash
"very flavorless dish. added quite a bit of spices and still tasted bland. gonna drain tomatoes next time. other than that great recipe"
"Really like this recipe. Do recommend saving some pasta water in case you need a bit more liquid. Used black beans instead of corn because that's what I had on hand and added a handful of kale for some extra nutrition. Good, easy, quick meal, will make it again."
"Very good, easy. We all liked it."
"Great recipe. Fat and easy."
"I love this recipe I up the spices in it for more flavor"