This tasty egg dish from Mary Relyea of Canastota, New York makes a great breakfast entree, but could easily be served for lunch or dinner, too! Fresh eggs are jazzed up with red tomatoes, onion and green bell pepper, then treated to a topping of savory mozzarella cheese.
Featured In: Top 10 Lunch Recipes Under 300 Calories
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash to 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, mustard, pepper and cayenne; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the onion, green pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Add tomato and olives; heat through.
- Pour egg mixture over vegetables. As eggs set, lift edges, letting uncooked portion flow underneath. When eggs are set, sprinkle with cheese. Remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into four wedges. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Southwestern Frittata in Simple & Delicious July/August 2007, p26
Reviews for Southwestern Frittata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 19, 2012
"Try topping with a little salsa for some extra flavor!"
Reviewed Jan. 11, 2012
"I make this recipe up on Monday and have it for breakfast for the next couple of days. Found it in Dec/Jan issue and lost 8 pounds following an eating program out of this issue."