Southwestern Fried Rice
This speedy skillet supper from Marcia Lee of Dewitt, New York combines tender cubes of chicken with a variety of vegetables, rice, salsa and seasoning. Try pairing her entree with refried beans or corn bread for fun fiesta fare.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked Minute® White Rice
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the chicken, corn, green pepper
- and onion in oil until chicken juices run clear. Stir in the broth,
- salsa, chili powder and cayenne; bring to a boil. Add the rice.
- Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with
- a fork. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand for 2-3 minutes or
- until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 278 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 446 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.