Southwestern Eggs Benedict Recipe
- 4 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 small sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced sweet onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 turkey bacon strips, chopped and cooked
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 eggs
- Chopped plum tomatoes and minced fresh cilantro, optional
- 1. Place potatoes and water in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes or until tender; drain. In a large skillet, saute pepper and onion in oil until onion is tender. Add the potatoes, bacon, salt and pepper; saute 8-10 minutes longer or until potatoes are lightly browned.
- 2. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in cheese and chilies; cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- 3. Meanwhile, place 2-3 in. of water in a large skillet with high sides; add vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently. Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a custard cup or saucer; holding the cup close to the surface of the water, slip each egg into water.
- 4. Cook, uncovered, until whites are completely set and yolks are still soft, about 4 minutes. Divide potato mixture among four plates. Using a slotted spoon, lift eggs out of water and place on potato mixture. Top with sauce; sprinkle with tomatoes and cilantro if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup potato mixture with 1 poached egg and 2 tablespoons sauce (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 277 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 235 mg cholesterol, 585 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 medium-fat meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.