Southwestern Egg Rolls
“I brought these to a church potluck and everybody loved them,” writes Jacqueline Bower from Washington, Iowa. “The recipe makes a large amount, but there were no leftovers!” For those looking to trim calories, she suggests using a 50%-less-fat sausage and frying in canola oil.
JACQUELINE’S TIP: These egg rolls also freeze well. They can be made ahead and fried frozen for quick convenience.
19 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve Minute® Ready to Serve Spanish Rice Mix
- 19 egg roll wrappers
- Oil for frying
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer
- pink; drain. Stir in the beans, Mexicorn, tomatoes and rice. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until
- heated through.
- Place 1/3 cup sausage mixture in the center of each egg roll wrapper.
- Fold bottom corner over filling. Fold sides toward center over
- filling. Moisten remaining corner with water; roll up tightly to
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry egg rolls,
- two at a time, for 30 seconds on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: 19 egg rolls.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or