Southwestern Deep-Dish Pizza Recipe
With a rich, hearty beef and bean filling, a slice of this slightly spicy pizza goes a long way. I enjoy experimenting with my cooking and have studied ethnic cuisine all over the world.—Diane Halferty, Tucson, Arizona
- 2-1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- Salsa and sliced ripe olives, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine biscuit mix and cornmeal. Stir in water until mixture forms a soft dough. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a lightly greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, chili powder and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- 3. Combine refried beans and hot pepper sauce; spread over crust. Top with meat mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa and olives if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
1 piece: 225 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 484mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Reviews for Southwestern Deep-Dish Pizza
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC