Southwestern Deep-Dish Pizza Recipe
With a rich, hearty beef and bean filling, a slice of this slightly spicy pizza goes a long way. I enjoy experimenting with my cooking and have studied ethnic cuisine all over the world.Diane Halferty, Tucson, Arizona
- 2-1/2 cups Bisquick® mix
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- Salsa and sliced ripe olives, optional
- In a large bowl, combine biscuit mix and cornmeal. Stir in water until mixture forms a soft dough. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a lightly greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, chili powder and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Combine refried beans and hot pepper sauce; spread over crust. Top with meat mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa and olives if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Southwestern Deep-Dish Pizza in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p282
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Southwestern Deep-Dish Pizza(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Italian Pizza Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >