Southwestern Corn Bread Recipe
I found this recipe in a cookbook and lightened it up by using skim milk, less oil, egg whites and reduced-fat cheese. It's moist and mildly flavored with canned chilies. —Tena Edyvean of Rapid City, South Dakota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1. Place corn in a food processor or blender; cover and process until coarsely chopped. Set aside. In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking soda and salt.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the egg, egg whites, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Add the cheese, chilies and corn.
- 3. Pour into a 9-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
One serving equals 243 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 598 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC