I came across this mouthwatering recipe while living in Arizona. Because it doesn't contain tomato sauce, it's quite different than traditional chili, but it's a real family favorite.—Jean White, Forsyth, Missouri
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) hominy, drained
- Warm flour tortillas, optional
- Trim pork and cut into 1/2-in. cubes. In a 3-qt. saucepan over medium
- heat, brown pork in oil; drain. Add onion; cook for 2 minutes or
- until onions are crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, chilies, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper;
- bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add hominy; simmer 30 minutes longer or until pork is tender. Serve
- with tortillas if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 343 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 129 mg cholesterol, 1,037 mg sodium,