Southwestern Chili Recipe
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) hominy, drained
- Warm flour tortillas, optional
- 1. Trim pork and cut into 1/2-in. cubes. In a 3-qt. saucepan over medium heat, brown pork in oil; drain. Add onion; cook for 2 minutes or until onions are crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, chilies, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 2. Add hominy; simmer 30 minutes longer or until pork is tender. Serve with tortillas if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 cup: 343 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 1037mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 39g protein
Reviews for Southwestern Chili
"It's a keeper! Top with tortilla strips before serving. Delicious!"
"THIS IS A MEXICAN DISH CALLED PAZOLE. IN MEXICO IT'S MADE WITH SOME DIFFERENT INGREDIENTS, BUT IT'S THE SAME CONCEPT"