- 1 carton (32 ounces) plus 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups frozen corn, thawed
- Tortilla chips
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar or Mexican cheese blend
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 12 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add corn; cook 10 minutes longer. Top each serving with tortilla chips; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Southwestern Chicken Tortilla Soup
"I enjoyed this soup, especially because it is quick and makes a huge batch so some can be frozen for later. I didn't cook it for the recommended hour, and served it with cheese toast on the side instead of sprinkling tortillas and cheese on top."
"I love this recipe, I use shredded rotisserie chicken, replace the chicken broth with Swanson's Mexican Tortilla broth and change one can of tomatoes to mild Rotel tomatoes. Top with some tortilla strips (i like fresh gourmet tortilla strips, found with the croutons) and cheese, it's fast and delicious!"
"I love this recipe, I use shredded rotisserie chicken and replace the broth with Swanson's Mexican Tortilla broth, top with tortilla strips ( I like Fresh Gourmet tortilla strips - found with the croutons in the produce dept.) and cheese. It's fast and delicious!"
"To those who think it "bland" or "sort of flavorless," please remember that even though servings still have 873 mg sodium, this is a recipe made with reduced-sodium broth and without the addition of salt as a line item ingredient. It relies on the sodium in the canned items. I think the recipe is quite savory and agree with a previous poster that it allows the flavors of the ingredients to come through."
"Not the best chicken Tortilla Soup I've had. It was sort of flavorless. There are much better recipes that I have found. I will use one of those next time."
"I must say I was disappointed, not much flavor, kinda bland.Won't make it again."
"I used chicken Italian sausage cooked before adding and can of black beans. This soup is delicious."
"Really great soup. I sauteed the onion and garlic in olive oil, then added the spices and chicken. After that I added the remaining ingredients, except the black beans I subbed for the corn. I added the beans at the end of the cook time and cooked 10 minutes longer. I'll make this soup often and share the recipe. One more thing. Please don't review a recipe before trying it first."
"A great soup! I left out the chili powder because my husband doesn't care for it and I found it was really good without it. This was tasty and very comforting on one of the first wintry nights of the season. Easy to make, too! I did use our own home-canned tomatoes (one quart in lieu of the two types of canned called for) and used our own frozen corn."