- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt, optional
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large skillet, saute the chicken in oil until lightly browned. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker with a slotted spoon. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken and vegetables are tender. Stir before serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Southwestern Chicken Soup
"Added black beans and omitted peppers due to my family's preference. Served topped with sour cream and avocado."
"I also did this in my dutch oven and we enjoyed it. I agree that the flavor needs to be bumped up a little bit, but this is an excellent base recipe for southwestern chicken soup. To really make it southwestern you should add some black beans to it. I made the confetti corn muffins to go along with this and they had great flavor with the cilantro butter. Yummy!"
"This was delicious! Instead of doing it in the crockpot, I was making it for lunch, so I did it in my dutch oven. I sauteed the chicken, onion, peppers, and garlic (I used minced instead of powder) in the oil together so they would soften. Then I added the other stuff. I brought it to a boil and then turned it down to simmer with the lid on for about an hour. When I served it, I stirred just a spoonful of fat free sour cream into each bowl and sprinkled it with a tiny bit of shredded 1.5% Vermont sharp cheddar. It was fabulous! I will definitely be making this again. I think a lot of the liquid must have simmered off, because it made just 7 one-cup servings for me."
"I added black beans. Delicous!"
"Very good, I did add a zucchini to the soup. The more vegetables I can get my family to eat the better."
"This soup was very easy to prepare with on hand ingredients. The house smelled wonderful. Next time I will spice it up a bit as it was a little bland for our liking."
"I also used thighs and added oregeno. I also added a chopped carrot instead of green pepper and added black beans."
"I used boneless chicken thighs instead of bresst meat, the thighs stay juicy and add more flavor, I also added 1/2 tsp of oregeno."