- 2 cups (8 ounces) uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in next eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Drain macaroni; stir into beef mixture.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Transfer macaroni mixture to two greased 2-qt. baking dishes. Top with cheese and jalapenos. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake until bubbly and heated through, about 10 minutes longer. Serve one casserole. Cool the second; cover and freeze up to 3 months.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in refrigerator 8 hours. Preheat oven to 375°. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°, 20-25 minutes. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
Reviews for Southwestern Casserole
"Easty, simple, quick and delicious! Nice heat and flavor. Makes wonderful leftovers."
"I love this recipe! Since my hubby had a heart attack I've been making food to freeze for lunch. Although the cheese doesn't make it all that healthy, I can control the amount of sodium and it's so much healthier than the fast food he was eating before. It's my go to recipe!"
"Very good! I did add some thawed out frozen corn and left out the jalapenos but that is the only change. I made it in my big roaster instead of two casserole dishes. This is a keeper. We had sour cream with it also! Thank you for sharing!"
"Easy to make and VERY tasty!! Even my picky husband ate it (But plucked out the beans like a little kid, Lol) !"
"Simple to make, hearty and delicious!! My family loved it!"