Southwestern Casserole Recipe
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, chilies and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Drain macaroni; stir into beef mixture.
- Transfer to two greased 2-qt. baking dishes. Top with cheese and jalapenos. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until bubbly and heated through. Serve one casserole. Cool the second casserole; cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator for 8 hours. Cover and bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
Reviews for Southwestern Casserole
Sort By :
Very good. Easy to make. I like that it makes two: one to serve immediate; one to freeze. I like serving this with a dollop of sour cream and guacamole.
Very good. I might try different cheeses just to try different flavors but I thought it was good as is. I definitely would not add more cheese.
Have made this for our family several times and they love it! With 5 growing boys we are always looking for inexpensive meals that fills their bellies. This does the trick!
Great inexpensive casserole. With our large family I just made this into 1 big casserole. Family really enjoyed it! Added a dab of sour cream and cilantro when serving. This and a green salad make a great easy dinner!
I added a can of green bean and Mexicali corn. Next time I will double the chili powder and cummin. Love that you can freeze the second casserole.