- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, chilies and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Drain macaroni; stir into beef mixture.
- Transfer to two greased 2-qt. baking dishes. Top with cheese and jalapenos. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until bubbly and heated through. Serve one casserole. Cool the second casserole; cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator for 8 hours. Cover and bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
Reviews for Southwestern Casserole
Sort By :
"Easy to make and VERY tasty!! Even my picky husband ate it (But plucked out the beans like a little kid, Lol) !"
"Simple to make, hearty and delicious!! My family loved it!"
"delicious,have made several time s ,friends loved it, substituted chillies with chipolte peppers"
"I made this but did not add the beans. I also added a few more spices and more cheese. Substituted the chiles with bell pepper and added a tad of lItalian dressing too was an added gem.'easy and simple. My family loves it. No,leftovers here.."
"Joan,Made this tonight and it was absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing.Sherrypie1953"