- 2 cups (8 ounces) uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in next eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Drain macaroni; stir into beef mixture.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Transfer macaroni mixture to two greased 2-qt. baking dishes. Top with cheese and jalapenos. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake until bubbly and heated through, about 10 minutes longer. Serve one casserole. Cool the second; cover and freeze up to 3 months.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in refrigerator 8 hours. Preheat oven to 375°. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°, 20-25 minutes. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
Reviews for Southwestern Casserole
"Pretty tasty, but I added more chopped jalapeno for a little extra kick. Otherwise, I followed directions exactly ... for half the amount of recipe, which almost filled a 2 qt. casserole dish."
"Very tasty...I used the petite diced tomatoes with chiles...a bit milder and easier too...don't have to deal with the fresh jalape?os ..these also come with diced jalepenos."
"I can't wait to try this without the hot peppers. None of us like spicy foods so I am sure it will be amazing with the beans."
"Easty, simple, quick and delicious! Nice heat and flavor. Makes wonderful leftovers."
"I love this recipe! Since my hubby had a heart attack I've been making food to freeze for lunch. Although the cheese doesn't make it all that healthy, I can control the amount of sodium and it's so much healthier than the fast food he was eating before. It's my go to recipe!"
"Very good! I did add some thawed out frozen corn and left out the jalapenos but that is the only change. I made it in my big roaster instead of two casserole dishes. This is a keeper. We had sour cream with it also! Thank you for sharing!"
"Easy to make and VERY tasty!! Even my picky husband ate it (But plucked out the beans like a little kid, Lol) !"
"Simple to make, hearty and delicious!! My family loved it!"
"delicious,have made several time s ,friends loved it, substituted chillies with chipolte peppers"
"I made this but did not add the beans. I also added a few more spices and more cheese. Substituted the chiles with bell pepper and added a tad of lItalian dressing too was an added gem.'easy and simple. My family loves it. No,leftovers here.."