- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 hamburger buns, split
- 2 slices tomato
- 2 slices onion
- 2 lettuce leaves
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, cumin, lemon juice, salt and pepper; cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Grill green pepper, covered, over medium heat until skin blisters, about 6 minutes. With tongs, rotate pepper a quarter turn. Grill and rotate until all sides are blackened. Immediately place pepper in a bowl; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shape beef into two patties. Grill, uncovered, over medium-hot heat for 7-9 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160°.
- Peel off and discard charred skin from green pepper; remove stem and seeds. Cut pepper in half. Top each patty with green pepper and cheese; grill 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted.
- Grill buns, cut side down, for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Spread bun bottoms with mayonnaise mixture; top with burgers, tomato, onion and lettuce. Replace bun tops. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Southwestern Burgers in Cooking for 2 Spring 2006, p51
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Southwestern Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 4, 2009
"perhaps she meant green bell pepper."
Reviewed May. 6, 2009
"it should read green chili not green pepper"