Southwestern Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
A friend gave me the recipe for this chunky vegetable soup, which I've been making for years. Recently, I changed the ingredients to give it some southwestern flair--and my husband liked it even better. -Peggy Hendrix of Richardson, Texas
- 4 cups water
- 4 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules or 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 6 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the water, bouillon cubes, vegetables, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- 2. Combine the flour and milk until smooth; gradually stir into the soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low. Add the cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Add the salsa; cook and stir until heated through. Yield: 9 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 cup equals 143 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 856 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC