Southwestern Beef Tortillas Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapeno slices
- 1 tablespoon juice from pickled jalapeno slices
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 1. Place roast and water in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Remove meat. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks. Skim fat from cooking juices; set aside 1/2 cup. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the tomatoes, green pepper, onion, garlic and bay leaf in oil over low heat for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- 3. Stir in the ketchup, jalapeno slices and juice, vinegar, salt, garlic salt and reserved cooking juices. Bring to a boil. Stir in shredded beef; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Serve on tortillas. Yield: 8 servings.
1 filled tortilla: 425 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 1135mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein
Reviews for Southwestern Beef Tortillas
"The recipe was good but it need more seasonings and flavor."
"This recipe was a huge hit! Very flavorful and makes a large batch. I also seasoned it with about 1/2 packet of taco seasoning and it was awesome."
"I added 3 Tablespoons of Cumin when cooking down the tomato mixture, it was great!"
"We used a neck roast instead but this was excellent! Would be great on a bun also."