—Marie Rizzio, Interlochen, Michigan
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapeno slices
- 1 tablespoon juice from pickled jalapeno slices
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Place roast and water in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks. Skim fat from cooking juices; set aside 1/2 cup. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the tomatoes, green pepper, onion, garlic and bay leaf in oil over low heat for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Stir in the ketchup, jalapeno slices and juice, vinegar, salt, garlic salt and reserved cooking juices. Bring to a boil. Stir in shredded beef; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Serve on tortillas. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Southwestern Beef Tortillas in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2008, p35
Reviews for Southwestern Beef Tortillas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review