Southwestern Beef Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 jar (16 ounces) picante sauce
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown beef on all sides; drain. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the picante sauce, potatoes, carrots, onion, chili powder, salt and cumin.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 7 servings.
1 cup equals 266 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 81 mg cholesterol, 436 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Southwestern Beef Stew
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.