- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 jar (16 ounces) picante sauce
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown beef on all sides; drain. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the picante sauce, potatoes, carrots, onion, chili powder, salt and cumin.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 7 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Southwestern Beef Stew
Sort By :
"16 oz of picante sauce?! **My god it's like lava eating the sun!!** I hoped it would cool down over time because the onions or something might cook away some of the heat, but it did not. I like spice well enough for a white person. I order 'medium to hot' at most places. I eat Mexican, Indian, and Thai on a regular basis. Perhaps this dish is suitable for a rock monster who'd like to burn the roof of his mouth, but this is not at all suitable for feeding humans. Inedible."
"This will be the only way I make beef stew from now on. I did not have an issue with mine being dry, but I only used slightly over a pound of meat, and I added a few more carrots and potatoes. Loved the spicy flavor the picante sauce added to it. So easy and flavorful, this one will go into my winter meal rotation for sure."
"Just made this and it was so tasty. I did modify it the slightest by adding 1 cup of beef broth, as other reviews suggested it didn't have enough liquid, and then doubled the amount of cornstarch. Also I didn't have picante sauce so I just used regular salsa and added a 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper. Definitely one of the best stews I've had/made and really easy with stuff I had on hand, will be making again for sure"
"I loved this recipe. It was quite tasty! If it had a little more soup to it then it would be a little better. The blend of veggies and meat, with the picante sauce is delicious. Great recipe! Thanks for sharing!!"
"This was a good recipe - my only suggestion would be to add 1/2 or 1 C of water. Ours was pretty dry, and we cooked it in a really nice slow cooker for less than the allotted time. Otherwise, it tasted great and I'll probably make it again :-)"