Southwestern Beef Brisket Recipe
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 medium sweet red peppers, cut into strips
- 1-1/2 cups sliced carrots (1-inch chunks)
- 1. Season beef with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, heat oil; brown beef on both sides. Meanwhile, combine the next 11 ingredients. Pour over meat. Cover and bake at 325° for 2 hours. Add red peppers and carrots; bake 1 hour longer or until meat is tender. Remove meat from the pan; allow to stand 15 minutes before cutting. To thicken juices, bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, 13-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 188 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 389mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Southwestern Beef Brisket
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.