- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a large saucepan, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Stir in the water, bouillon, chili powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until barley is tender. Stir in tomatoes; heat through. Yield: 4 cups.
Reviews for Southwestern Beef Barley Stew
"I made it with ground turkey, and also realized I was out of bouillon as I was prepping things. I added extra herbs/spices and it was JUST as tasty. VERY good, very flavorful and I will definitely be making this throughout the fall and winter!"
"If you really want to kick the flavor up, use a can of fire roasted tomatoes. It adds a little smokiness and ... yum."
"Quick, easy, and delicious. My husband and I loved it. I will definitely make it again. I used regular pearl barley and cooked it the night before then added it in with the tomatoes. Great mix of flavors and textures. I added some orange pepper as I had extra to use up in the fridge."
"This is a perfect stew recipe for couples! It was a big hit with my husband. It makes enough for supper for the two of us with enough leftover for both of our lunches the next day. The flavor is out of this world!"
"No matter if you call this soup or stew, it's delicious. I used regular pearl barley and cooked it almost an hour. It had good texture and a really nice flavor from the chili powder."
"Good hearty soup:)"
"I was able to substitute Quinoa for the barley to make this a gluten free recipe for our family. I served it with mashed potatoes by making a well in the potatoes and spooning the stew in the center."
"Just made this for the first time and had to make a comment....Delicious, fast and easy. I added a additonal can of tomatoes and it turned out perfect. My husband and I really enjoyed it and I can't wait to share with my friends and family."
"I made this last night - spicy & filling. Yummy!"