Hearty and easy to fix, this thick stew, from Lisa Kolenicn of Regina, Saskatchewan, has a comforting, chili-like flavor. "It's my best barley recipe. I'm sure you'll agree that it's a tasty dish."
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a large saucepan, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Stir in the water, bouillon, chili powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until barley is tender. Stir in tomatoes; heat through. Yield: 4 cups.
Originally published as Beef Barley Stew in Cooking for 2 Spring 2008, p35
Reviews for Southwestern Beef Barley Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review