Southwestern Bean Soup
When a friend needs a night off from cooking, I throw together this one-pot meal. I deliver it with tortilla chips, shredded cheese and sour cream for garnish. The pepper sauce can be ranged to suit individual tastes, and the broth can be eliminated for a thicker batch. —Jackie Hacker, Seville, Ohio
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion in oil until tender. Stir in the
- remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings
- (3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 129 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 481 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 7 g protein.